The Malate Church or the Our Lady Of Remedies Parish was built originally in the sixteenth century by the Augustinian friars and is one of the oldest churches in Manila outside of Intramuros.
The churh is Baroque-style and is dedicated to Nuestra Señora de Remedios ("Our Lady of Remedies"), the patroness of childbirth. A revered statue of the Virgin Mary in her role as Our Lady of Remedies was brought from Spain in 1624 and stands at the altar.
The British soldiers took refuge in this church during their occupation of the Philippines and attack on Intramuros in 1762–63; repairs had to be made after they left.
The church was destroyed by a typhoon in 1868 and then rebuilt. It was also badly damaged in World War II, and later restored again.